Why would anyone want to build or add an addition during the icy grip of
winter? According to RGC (a Northbrook Illinois general contractor) co-owner
Ryan Weitzman in this
Chicago Tribune article, carrying and opportunity costs can get very
expensive by waiting for spring.
Carrying costs are fairly easy to recognize. If you already own a piece
of land and wait 4-5 months to begin construction when the weather warms, you
could be paying principle, interest and taxes without realizing any benefit.
This cost can easily exceed any potential cold weather related building
Opportunity costs can sometimes be harder to recognize. An opportunity
cost is the cost of any activity measured in terms of the value of the best
alternative that is not chosen; the sacrifice related to the second best choice
available. Opportunity costs do not have to be measured in monetary or
material terms. If the lack of space in your current home is causing
stress that can be relieved with a room addition, than the six months of extra
stress while waiting through the winter to get that addition built is the
opportunity cost. Depending on your spouse, that cost can be very high
If you do decide to take on a construction project during
the winter make sure you go with a general contractor like RGC that has cold
weather experience in new
construction and home renovations.
If you have identified mold in your home or business, do your best to stay out of the area. Mold can be a very serious
concern because it carries both health risks and it can damage structures over time.
Proper mold remediation involves controlled demolition and safe disposal of mold contaminated materials as well as thorough cleaning and sanitizing of any affected areas. A variety of other techniques appropriate to the project conditions may be required. This is why the problem should only be restored by a mitigation professional like RGC.
- All mold growth is accompanied by a nearby water or moisture source. If you can identify and isolate the source of water, stop it if possible.
- Do not attempt to eliminate the problem with bleach. Doing so will only give a cosmetic solution to the problem.
- Most molds are not immediately harmful, so don’t panic. Reactions to mold vary greatly from person to person.
- If you or anyone else in the building is experiencing an allergic reaction that you think may be related to mold, see a doctor immediately.
- Turn off the heating and air conditioning system and make sure it remains off until the damage can be inspected.
BBQ season is finally here, but before you spark up the grill, please note some important tips to protect your family and home from possible fire hazards from Northbrook-based RGC24 (www.rgc24.com).
1. Clean your barbecue to avoid grease buildup. Accumulated grease deposits frequently catch fire and are difficult to put out.
2. Keep grill at least 10 feet away from your house or trees.
3. Don’t barbecue in the garage, on the porch or deck. Decks often have dry grass and debris under them and if a smoldering match, spark or ash drops between the boards, it could ignite the debris, the deck and your house.
4. Keep children away from the grill.
1. Avoid loose clothing that could catch fire during a flare up.
2. Never use gasoline or paint thinner to start a fire as they will explode and or release toxins into the food.
3. Don't squirt or pour starter fluid onto a lit grill. Fires can readily flashback along the fluid’s path and explode the container in your hands.
4. Keep alcoholic beverages away from the grill. They are flammable.
5. Never leave grill unattended.
For Propane/Gas Grills:
1. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that more than 500 fires and 20 injuries occur every year from gas grill fires and explosions of grills that have not been used for several months.
2. Clean out Venturi tubes that lead to the burner on gas barbecues. Insects frequently build nests in the tubes sometimes forcing the gas to find somewhere else to go.
3. Check for propane leaks every time you replace the cylinder. Pour or spray soapy solution over the connections; if bubbles form, there is a leak.
4. If there is a leak, do NOT use the grill until the leak is fixed.
5. Check and secure all the connections BEFORE turning on the gas.
6. Never start a propane barbecue with the lid closed as accumulated gasses could explode, blowing the lid off when the grill is lit.
7. Don’t lean over a gas barbecue when lighting it and avoid singed eyebrows, or worse.
8. Buy propane only from approved compressed gas suppliers.
9. Before getting a propane cylinder filled, check for any damages to it.
10. Never store propane cylinders indoors, in the trunk of your car, or near any heat source.
11. Turn off the propane fuel both at the grill and at the bottle after you have finished barbecuing otherwise a leak or faulty regulator may result.
In case of fire:
1. Turn off the burners.
2. If you can safely reach the tank valve, shut it off.
3. If the fire involves the tank, leave it alone, evacuate the area and call 911 for the fire department.
For Charcoal Grills:
1. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that every year about 20 deaths and 400 injuries are treated as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from charcoal grills.
2. Do NOT use barbecue grills in enclosed areas such as your home, vehicle, tent, or camper, even if well ventilated. Charcoal produces carbon monoxide when burned which is odorless and colorless and you may not be aware of the danger until it is too late.
3. Never use any flammable liquid other than barbecue starter fluid to start a charcoal barbecue.
4. Remove the ashes after they’re completely cooled.
5. Always soak coals with water after cooking; they retain their heat for a long time.
6. Keep damp or wet coals in a well ventilated area. During the drying process, spontaneous combustion can occur in confined areas.
In case of fire:
1. Close the grill lid.
For Electric Grills:
1. Keep the grill at least ten feet away from any combustible material.
2. Do NOT use any flammable liquid to start an electric grill.
3. Follow the manufacturer's instructions in the use of an electric grill.
4. Reduce risk of an electrical fire. Verify the extension cord is rated properly for the amperage required for that electric grill
In case of fire:
1. Disconnect the power.
And in any type of barbecue fire, dial 911 for any fire that threatens either personal safety or property. Never pour water on a grease fire because it will spatter and/or cause it to flare up. Always use an approved portable fire extinguisher and/or cover with grill lid to smother flames.
RGC24 specializes in emergency response restoration, returning compromised residential and commercial property to its pre-loss condition. Whether it’s damage from water, flood, fire, smoke, or storms, RGC24 makes coping with a disaster manageable by providing “all you need under one roof” for emergency restoration, reconstruction, and property damage consulting needs. Focusing on the need for 24-hour, seven-day-a-week instant response and full in-house service and expertise in all areas of construction, RGC is able to reduce excessively high replacement costs, decrease restoration time, and eliminate the unpredictably long response time associated with the disaster restoration industry. For more information, please visit www.rgc24.com.